lake winni museum logo
 
  
Like Us On
facebook
Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipesaukee & Vicinity
 

 

“Big Bar! Much Bar!”
 

View Article Photos








Return to Winnipesaukee Islands

Return to Main History

AN EARLY HISTORY OF BEAR ISLAND



Artist's Rendition of Early Settlers Facing Danger on Bear Island.

Reprinted from Bear Island Reflections published by the Bear Island Conservation Association

The second largest of Lake Winnipesaukee's 274 islands. Bear Island is situated within the town of Meredith, New Hampshire, less than half a mile from mainland at its nearest point, but not connected by any bridge. Nearly three miles long and up to three-quarters of a mile wide, it is part of lands granted by England to John Mason as early as 1622. Though it does not have an Indian name as do many places in the area. Bear Island is believed to be the only island in Lake Winnipesaukee with a name suggested by Indians.

The story of how Bear Island got its name comes from an early Boston Globe article, which recounts reminiscences of James Hersey, the man delegated to officially survey and name the islands granted to Governor John Wentworth and those associated with him before the Revolutionary War.

Having completed the survey of the Wentworth Islands the previous Fall, Hersey, five other men and a few Penacook Indian assistants were employed to survey and name that which has since been known as Big Bear Island, and embarked on that undertaking early in 1772 before the snow and ice had disappeared. The North half of the island had been granted to Theodore Atkins and the South half to Thomas Packer.

Crossing on the ice the narrow channel that separates the island from Meredith Neck, they worked southward and deliberated upon an appropriate name. Very soon the dogs gave unmistakable signs of the proximity of wild game and the Indian assistants in the lead began to exclaim "Big Bar!" "Yes, that's a good name," the surveyors agreed, so "Big Bear" was adopted then and there as the name of the island. Excitement became more intense and the Indians began to call out, "Much bar! Much bar!"

Investigation disclosed not only one but several bears being chased by the dogs. The bears had been routed out of the vicinity of the old "Carry," where they had probably been feeding on scraps of food left by Indians or trappers, and were now treed on a point of land a little to the westward. Evidently they had tried to escape across the ice to the mainland. The men, after a hard winter, were hungry for bear meat and there was no hesitation in going after the bears. Just awakened from their Winter's nap the bears might be expected to be hungry, too, and in good fighting trim.

It was found that there were four full-grown bears in the group and just half that number of guns in the party. Each of the surveyors, however, was armed with a hunting knife. The Indians were loathe to participate in the prospective fight and retired to a safe distance. The presence of the dogs was suffi­cient to keep the bears treed under ordinary circumstances, but if wounded it was realized they would likely come down and fight. So the six men laid their plans carefully. Each of the men with guns selected his bear, and all fired simultaneously.

 

Home | About Us | Museum | News | History | Bingo | Shop | Membership | Contact | You Can Help!

The Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society is a non-profit organization.