Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipesaukee & Vicinity
MEREDTIH HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Meredith Historical Society building in the late 1800s.
Among the busiest landmarks of Meredith for nearly two centuries, the "Ladd Block" is now headquarters of the Meredith Historical Society.
Built about 1820 as a store and residence, the building took on greater significance in 1854 when Seneca Ladd bought it and moved his piano and melodeon business there. After selling his piano business in 1869 Mr. Ladd was instrumental in founding Meredith Village Savings Bank and supplied space in the building for the town's first banking office. The bank remained there until 1925, when it built the brick office across Highland Street that now serves as town offices.
The Meredith Historical Society Museum today.
Another well-known occupant of the building's lower level was the Meredith Village post office. Villagers collected their mail at "Post Office Square" for several decades until a permanent post office was built in 1936. Another tenant of the building from 1888-1901 was the Meredith Public Library. Various commercial interests have owned or rented space in the building over the years until a public/private partnership succeeded in purchasing the building in 1994 as a historical museum.