Once the village district school, the Humiston Building now houses the Inter-Lakes School District administrative offices.
Humiston School, then Meredith High School, c. 1920.
Another view of Meredith High School as seen in the early 1900s.
About 1875, Ebenezer and Cassandra (Swasey) Stevens donated property for a new village school, a four-room building which accommodated all the village public school grades. This served Meredith's community for nearly forty years, but in 1914, the town consolidated many of its outlying schools into a single, stately brick building that still stands today.
This newer building was arranged similarly to the library next door with a projecting central entry bay and flanking wings. Concrete, instead of granite, was used for trim, reflecting a growing reliance on this less expensive, man-made stone.
After the Lang Street School was built in 1925, this Main Street building became Meredith High School. Among its leading teachers through the years was John Hummiston, by whose name the building is known today.
The Humiston School Building in 2016.