Camp Menotomy was formerly Camp Wauganakit
for boys until 1935, under the direction of Dr Matthew
C O'Brien. In 1939, however it was purchased by Arlington
Girl Scouts, Inc. and became Camp Menotomy officially
opening on July 2 of that year with 46 campers. From 1963
- 1980, it was run by the Mistick Side Girl Scout Council.
Since 1980, the camp has been operated by the Patriots'
Trail Girl Scout Council.
Menotomy is the old Indian name for the
area now known as Arlington and translates as a "place
of swift running water."
In 1989, during the camp's 50th anniversary,
one family attended with three generations of Menotomy