lake winni museum logo
 
  
Like Us On
facebook
Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipesaukee & Vicinity
 

 

Clover Ridge Camp
 

Return to Camps

Return to Main History

MEREDITH, NH

 

Clover Ridge Camp was located on Pease Road in Meredith, at the site of a farm supposedly built by a retired whaling captain who used timbers from his vessel for mantel pieces (this has not yet been documented).

Mrs. James J. Storrow provided the property for the Lawrence Massachusetts Girl Scouts to operate their summer camp from 1934-1936. Directors were Miss Natalie Stansfield in 1934 and 1935 and Miss Majorie Severance in 1936. The camp did not continue probably because of the distance and need for transportation to take the girls swimming. The 250 acre farm and buildings were donated by Mrs. Storrow to Isabel and Monroe Smith of the American Youth Hostel Association. Clover Ridge Youth Hostel was dedicated in October, 1937. Later referred to as the AYH School Youth Hostel and Meredith County School Youth Hostel, it continued until 1947. The camp today is a bed and breakfast known at the Nutmeg Inn.

 


Home | About Us | Museum | News | History | Bingo | Shop | Membership | Contact | You Can Help!

The Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society is a non-profit organization.