With its angular square tower topped with a steep, flared pyramidal roof and iron cresting, the Hawkins/Deneault house epitomizes Victorian eclecticism. No fewer than four decorative shingle patterns adorn its walls and a granite hitching post remains near the street from bygone yesterdays.
The Hawkins Deneault House c. 1905.
Doctor Frederick Hawkins was the principal physician in Meredith for several decades. He was the son of William Hawkins, who was killed in 1863 during the Civil War Battle of Chancellorsville, and his mother died six years later.
The newly orphaned Frederick excelled in school and graduated from a Philadelphia Medical School before returning to his hometown of Meredith to take over the local medical practice.
The beautiful Hawkins Deneault House today.
Inside the Hawkins Denaeault House, now a popular bed and breakfast.
It was upon the death of Frederick and his wife, that the house became the property of another doctor named Frederick, this time Dr. Frederick Deneault who purchased the home with his wife Dorothea. The ne Dr. Frederick, this time a dentist opened and maintained a dentistry practice in the house until the 1970s.